Expedia Case Study
Market: United Kingdom, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Finland.
Contract length: Five years
Number of campaigns delivered: 55 large-scale creative campaigns.
Number of links: In excess of 2,500 high-quality, relevant, links from top-tier publications around the world.
We have highlighted the tangible SEO results achieved for each market during the course of the contract, such as the fact that, through targeted, high-quality links, we increased organic visibility in:
- Finland by 1595%
- Denmark by 68%
- Norway by 68%
- Sweden by 18%
- The UK by 17%
To give you a clearer understanding of how we achieved this, we’ll walk you through the results in terms of the links we built for each country over the course of the contract – and we’ll also demonstrate two example campaigns for each territory.
For Expedia Sweden, we launched a total of 14 creative campaigns during the course of the contract. To give you an example of the campaigns we did for Expedia SE, we’ve shared results for two campaigns below, Underground Art and Malmöhus Castle
Underground Art (https://vc.expedia.se/konstsparet/en)
The Stockholm underground system is said to be the ‘world’s longest art gallery’. We delivered a virtual tour of the intricate underground system in order to illustrate the wealth of inspiring art that is spread across the 110-kilometre-long network. Our fully-interactive tour utilises unique Google street view footage in order to deliver an immersive ‘alternative travel’ experience.
- Total coverage: 200 links
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 341k views
- Total LinkScore: 5,543 points
Further brand recognition and incremental value beyond SEO
The campaign was also covered in print by Aftonbladet, one of the biggest newspapers in Sweden with an estimated 47.7M readers per month.
Malmöhus Castle – Virtual Tour (https://malmohus-slott.expedia.se/en)
We employed a professional Google Streetview photographer in order to deliver the first ever virtual tour of the Malmöhus Castle – the oldest surviving Renaissance castle in Scandinavia. We teamed up with the historic venue in order to obtain exclusive access to parts of the castle otherwise closed to the public. Users are given a unique tour of the dungeon, the Hall of Nobility as well as the cannon tower – and we have also incorporated a handy audio function that allows you to learn about each artefact and fixture as you tour the castle from home.
- 75 links
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 28k views
- Total LinkScore: 2,383 points
The SEO Results
We achieved an 18% increase in organic visibility over a 5 year period
In Finland, we launched a total of 16 creative campaigns. Here are two examples.
The Land of a Thousand Saunas (https://www.expedia.fi/vc/c/tuhansien-saunojen-maa/en#)
In anticipation of the traditional Finnish sauna being included in the UNESCO’s List of Intangible Cultural Heritage, we created an interactive map that explores the wide array of traditional Finnish saunas from Finland’s 19 regions.
- 15 top-tier Finnsh links including Iltalehti, which is the Finnish equivalent of the BBC
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 36k views
- Total LinkScore points: 1,669 points
The Finnish Dialect Map (https://www.expedia.fi/vc/c/kotimaan-murrekartta/#)
We put together an interactive brain teaser that puts your knowledge of local Finnish dialects to the test, by playing a series of audio clips relating to specific regions. The campaign also doubles up as an educational piece for people who want to learn more about the wide range of dialects across what is essentially a relatively small country. We also tracked each and every response, and based on the results, we were able to determine which dialects are most recognisable – enabling us to build out multiple angles for outreach to different regional journalists and publications.
- 43 links
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 308k views
- Total LinkScore: 5,583 points
The SEO Results
We saw a 1594% increase in organic visibility over a 5 year period.
In Denmark, we launched a total of 14 creative campaigns over the duration of the contract. The two examples we will focus on are: ‘The Prison’ and ‘The Old Town’.
The Prison (http://www.expedia.dk/vc/c/faengslet-horsens/en)
Experience life behind bars with this virtual tour of Horsens State Prison in Denmark – the largest prison museum in Europe, which once held some of the worst criminals in the world.
- 90 local, top-tier Danish links
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 6k views
- Total LinkScore: 5,407 points
The Old Town – Aarhus (https://www.expedia.dk/vc/c/tidsrejsen-aarhus/en)
On this virtual tour you can go back in time through the streets of The Old Town museum where you will experience three decades of Danish living history from the 18th Century through to the liberal 1970s.
- 63 local Danish links
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 19k views
- Total LinkScore: 5,489 points
The SEO Results
We achieved a 123% increase in organic visibility over 5 year period
In Norway we launched a total of 17 large-scale creative campaigns. Here are two examples.
Virtual Flåm (http://www.expedia.no/vc/c/virtuelle-flam/en)
Flåm is one of the steepest, most beautiful railways in Europe and was described by Lonely Planet Traveler magazine as the “world’s most incredible train journey of 2014”.
Built into the mountains between Oslo and Bergen, it climbs almost 2,850 feet in an hour. We fitted a camera onto the train in order to enable users to experience Flåm’s beauty through 360° video on desktop or through a virtual reality headset.
- Total coverage: 195 links
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 802k views
- Total LinkScore: 9,909 points
Virtual Flåm won the Drum search award in 2017 for best travel/leisure/sports campaign. It also highly commended by the DADI awards for best use of VR.
We saw an average increase of 68% in organic visibility over the duration of the contract (five years).
We launched 7 campaigns that were translated across all four territories. Here is one example
Royally Connected (http://www.expedia.no/vc/c/royale-relasjoner/en)
We created an interactive Royal family tree that allows you to explore just how closely Scandinavian Royal families are related to both each other, and other European courts. We traced Royal family history back to the late 18th century and discovered some surprising connections.
This is a pan Nordic campaign which was created for all the Nordic markets, Finland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway and did very well across all markets.
- 52 local Norwegian links
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 1M views
- Total LinkScore: 3,338 points
- 31 local Danish links
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 132k views
- Total LinkScore: 2,914 points
- 74 local Swedishlinks
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 9M views
- Total LinkScore: 3,888 points
- 17 local Finnish links
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 36k views
- Total LinkScore: 2,572 points
The SEO results across the Nordics as a whole
In 2018, organic traffic grew 35%. For context, this was 115% more than any other Expedia property last year.
In the UK, we launched a total of 17 creative campaigns. Here are two examples.
Unknown Tourism (https://www.expedia.co.uk/vc/unknowntourism)
We are all used to reading guidebooks to learn more about a country before we visit – but how often do we stop and think about the things we can’t see there anymore? We created Unknown Tourism, a series of vintage-style travel posters to commemorate some of the wonderful creatures we’ve lost from countries around the world and are in danger of forgetting.
- Number of links achieved: 97
- Total LinkScore: 6,328 points
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 21k views
Further brand recognition and value beyond SEO
- The campaign has been viewed online over 21k times
- Print coverage from the Washington Post, Observer and Lonely Planet.
- Furthermore, the campaign was shared over 90k times from some a variety of influential social media accounts including Greenpeace and BBC Travel.
- Two online petitions were also set up by conservation enthusiasts which resulted in 1,314 signatures thanking Expedia UK for raising awareness of endangered species. A first for a Verve Search, a mini replica set of posters were created for users of The Sims computer game, which highlighted just how impactful and widely-received this piece was.
Language of Love (https://language-of-love.expedia.co.uk/)
We gathered untranslatable words from across the world that help voice the heart’s desire in a way that the English language can’t. These include ‘gigil’ which in Tagalog means the irresistible desire to pinch something overwhelmingly cute.
- Total coverage: 101 links
- Total number of estimated coverage views: 250k views
- Total LinkScore: 3,998 points
We saw an average increase of 17% in organic visibility over the 4 year period.
What did the client have to say?
“Verve Search’s bold and innovative approach has proven to be a huge success for us time and time again. They regularly exceeded our expectations not only with their creative campaigns and production but also with their forward thinking. They continue to get links from some of the most high-profile sites in the Nordics and we couldn’t be happier with the results!
- Anna Stower, SEO Manager, Expedia
And if this wasn’t enough…
Further to the undeniable SEO results, other campaigns that we delivered for Expedia in these markets, achieved incredible offline results including:
- We secured an in depth feature on Danish TV programme Go’ morgen Danmark (part of TV2), for a campaign we ran for Expedia.dk, entitled Tongue Twister